Tuesday, July 16, 2024

They That Go Down to the Sea in Ships

 

It was 2:00am, I was just off the mid-watch. It was a boring 2 hours, just form-filling out administrative stuff. When my relief came I stepped to the mess deck for a sandwich and coffee. With my sandwich finished I topped off my coffee and headed for my rack, but on this night, I took a detour out on deck. With my mug of coffee in one hand, cigarette in the other and one foot resting on a tie-down, I looked out over a calm sea. As I stood there, the world around me disappeared, it was just me and the sea. It was as if I was looking into the eyes of God, listening to his angels singing the hallelujah chorus. 

"In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth and the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters."

The Sea is mentioned many times in the Bible. Jesus once walked on the sea. I think the passage I like the most comes from Psalms 107: 23-31:


"They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and his wonders in the deep. For he commandeth, and raiseth the stormy wind, which lifteth up the waves thereof. They mount up to the heaven, they go down again to the depths: their soul is melted because of trouble. They reel to and fro, and stagger like a drunken man, and are at their wit's end. Then they cry unto the Lord in their trouble, and he bringeth them out of their distresses. He maketh the storm a calm, so that the waves thereof are still. Then are they glad because they be quiet; so he bringeth them unto their desired haven. Oh that men would praise the Lord for his goodness, and for his wonderful works to the children of men!"



President John Kennedy commissioning of the USS Oriskany CVA 34, the ship I was standing on.

"I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction, 'I served in the United States Navy'." - John F. Kennedy (1917-1963)


"The first time I saw the stars out at sea, I was 20 and almost cried. Now at ... well, over 70, if I could see them again, I know I would."

 

Sea-Fever

I must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky,
And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by;
And the wheel’s kick and the wind’s song and the white sail’s shaking,
And a grey mist on the sea’s face, and a grey dawn breaking.
 
I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.
 
I must go down to the seas again, to the vagrant gypsy life,
To the gull’s way and the whale’s way where the wind’s like a whetted knife;
And all I ask is a merry yarn from a laughing fellow-rover,
And quiet sleep and a sweet dream when the long trick’s over.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment